The focus of our past discussions on this site has been all about attempting to explore what diversity is…
An ancient Greek school of philosophical thought suggested that the best way to discover what a thing is, is to proceed by a process of logical elimination, stating what the thing in question is not, in an attempt to truly find out what it is – hence our approach adopted below in trying to understand what diversity is…
Diversity is not…
- about race
- about the ‘symptoms’ of equality otherwise called ‘the 7 strands’ (race, gender, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment), etc
- about being compliant or meeting set equality targets
- about equal representation
- about ‘minorities’ or a ‘majority/ minority divide’
- about recruiting untalented, unskilled or unqualified people into an organisation to balance workforce databases
- about being tokenistic
- about doing a ‘favour’
- about doing a ‘good deed’ as part of an organisational Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) strategy
- a ‘bolt-on’ to add ‘value’ to business strategy or organisational process
- about discrimination
- even about positive action
- about businesses becoming diverse – diversity creates businesses!
….so what is diversity actually about??
This is a question for you to continue to think about as we start the week… indeed, do let us know your thoughts regarding it.
NB: Watch out for a forthcoming article entitled “On: A Philosophy of Diversity” where we will take a look at the concept of diversity purely from a philosophical perspective the aim being to begin attempting to unravel an answer to the question posed above…